Besides the Hassle of Constantly Removing Water From Your Basement, Failing to Waterproof Can Lead to a Number of Larger Problems.
Mold and Dust Mites
Mold and dust mites thrive in moist environments. When these creatures start to grow in your living space, the quality of your breathing air decreases. In fact, the presence of mold spores and dust mites can exacerbate allergy symptoms or even cause an asthma attack.
Wood that is consistently exposed to water eventually begins to rot, which over time significantly weakens it. Many homes rely on wood to uphold the structure of their ceilings, floors, walls and other areas. Allowing this wood to rot and weaken will make your home structurally unsafe, and significantly decrease the value of your home.
Unwanted pests such as cockroaches, certain breeds of ants, silverfish and centipedes tend to seek out moist, dark environments such as basements that haven’t been properly waterproofed. Keeping your basement dry is the first step in making your home unattractive to these pests and preventing infestations.
As you probably know, water and electricity don’t mix. Commonly, basements are where you’ll find house appliances, electrical panels, and other sensitive wiring. Failing to waterproof your basement can lead to electrical shorts in appliances and even fire !
Bacteria thrives in moist environments, and a buildup of bacteria in your home can lead to a lot of unwanted side-effects. From increasing the risk of infection and illness to causing poor indoor air quality that leads to respiratory problems, bacteria buildup is an invisible but dangerous problem to have in your home.
Have you experienced an unpleasant, musty odor in your home that won’t seem to go away? This is often due to areas of the home being exposed to water for long periods of time, and is impossible to combat without securing your home from future water.